SPRINGFIELD – In an attempt to help fill vacant state job positions, State Senator Steve Stadelman is working to diversify the state workforce and improve hiring outcomes that would open the door for more job opportunities for people across Illinois.
“State agencies are struggling to fill open job positions,” said Stadelman (D-Rockford). “There are many positions that do not necessarily need a college degree, so this measure ensures we are focused on skills and experience, rather than adding an educational barrier.”
Senate Bill 1884 would prohibit Illinois state agencies from requiring applicants to have a bachelor’s degree to be eligible for hire. The requirement does not apply if the knowledge, skills or abilities required for the position for which an applicant is applying can only reasonably be obtained through a course of study in pursuit of a bachelor’s or other advanced degree.
The bill is also an effort to boost workforce equity by expanding access to good-paying jobs for working families and other communities who have been previously underrepresented in state government careers. Sixteen other states have taken legislative or executive action to eliminate degree requirements for state jobs.
“Just because someone doesn’t have a college education doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be considered for state positions they otherwise qualify for,” said Stadelman. “This is a simple way we can fill open state positions and give many Illinoisans the chance to have a stable job.”
Senate Bill 1884 has been assigned to the Senate State Government Committee.
SPRINGFIELD – State Senator Steve Stadelman (D-Rockford) released the following statement after the governor’s Fiscal Year 2026 budget address on Wednesday:
“We must pass a balanced budget this year that continues to set Illinois up for success. The governor’s proposal is a good starting point from which we can further develop into a solid budget that upholds our state’s priorities.
“I’m pleased to see the continued investments in education at all levels. Our students deserve access to quality resources and educational attainment. The $350 million increase for evidence-based funding in K-12 schools and the MAP grant increases for public higher education institutions continue to show Illinois’ commitment to bettering our educational system.
“I’m really excited to hear about the new program that aims to address vacant state properties like the former Singer Mental Health Center in Rockford. This land has been empty for years and the new Surplus to Success initiative would allow for the remediation of the site, in turn, creating more economic opportunity and development in the region.
“The state has seen many credit upgrades as a result of more responsible budgetary in recent years, and my hope is we can build this year’s budget on the foundation of the fiscally responsible decisions we have made before.
“People are counting on us to make common sense decisions in Springfield, and as budget negotiations go on, I’m going to advocate for smart spending so we can get to a place where the budget is fiscally sound, helps our economy and represents our needs."
SPRINGFIELD -- Rockford and Belvidere are receiving $5.5 million in Illinois site-readiness grants that State Senator Steve Stadelman helped secure, he announced today.
Rockford will get almost $2,5 million for road construction and water main installation near the IL-2 and US-20 interchange. In Rockford, the investment is intended to attract industrial development to the area near Chicago-Rockford International Airport.
Belvidere's award of nearly $3 million will be used to extend water and sewer to a 137-acre site on Chrysler Drive east of the Stellantis auto plant.
"These projects are critical to increasing the state's industrial and infrastructure attraction while helping secure future investments," Stadelman said. "I am thrilled to see the Regional Site Readiness Program come to life, and I am optimistic about the positive impact it will have on our local economies and the job opportunities it will provide for individuals across the state."
ROCKFORD - State Senator Steve Stadelman today issued the following statement regarding Stellantis' announcement about the future of the Belvidere Assembly Plant:
"I'm pleased to see Stellantis reaffirm its commitment to build a new, mid-size truck at the Belvidere Assembly Plant. State and local officials worked tirelessly to reopen the iconic manufacturing facility. I'm proud to have sponsored legislation that incentivized Stellantis' decision, and I look forward to workers being back on the job and the regional economy receiving a big boost."
Page 3 of 120